Monday, September 12, 2011

Shoo Fly Pie



Here's my Shoo Fly Pie recipe that I made for our Family Harvest Day:

1 tsp of baking soda
3/4 cup of boiling water
1 cup of dark molasses
1/2 c of butter
1/2 c of brown sugar
1 cup of flour
1/2 c of oatmeal, quick cooking works best
2 unbaked pie shells (I always used smallish frozen ones, which are a little smaller than most pie pans you will have in your kitchen)

Dissolve baking soda in the boiling water, then add molasses. Mix oatmeal and flour. Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to mix the butter into flour mix well. Pour 1/3 of the molasses mix into pie crusts, then add 1/3 of flour mix repeating with the flour layer being on the top. Bake 35 minutes at 375°. Cool before cutting.

If you are not a huge fan of molasses, use half of the molasses and half corn syrup. Also you can add a beaten egg to the mixture to tighten it up a bit, and you can add spices such as cinnamon, ginger, or nutmeg. Make an aluminum foil 'tray' to go under the pies to save a mess if they over flow.

You can dig into this pie before it cools but you will have molasses running everywhere. It is very rich, and a little piece goes a long way. Perfect with homemade whipped cream or ice cream.



A reader, Gail from Buckeye, AZ, sent me the above photo of her pie, and these are the changes she made to my recipe;
"The changes I made to the pie are:  I/2 cup molasses, 1/2 cup of corn syrup, added one egg to the molasses mixture and added one teaspoon of vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. I used one homemade deep dish pie shell and it over flowed a lot. Glad I used the aluminum foil under it. This pie was delicious and reminded me of ginger bread." 

Thanks Gail for your photo and trying the recipe!

*Join me on Wednesdays for my link up party, Wow Us Wednesdays.*

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you SO much for taking the time to leave a comment!