Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christmas Decorating on a Shoe String

At this last minute, I wanted to share another project I did for my Christmas decorating with some links that follow for more good ideas. It seems that silver, white, and sparkly is the current ‘in’ look. I didn’t want to buy anything new, so I looked at my décor and thought about how I could update my look. I picked a few things to spray paint, and then went to my craft area and got out a box of pinecones the kids and I had collected at a park a while back.
I did buy a can of the sparklyest (is that a word?) shiniest silver spray paint I could find at a local craft store, with my 40% off coupon of course. I wanted 'Looking Glass' spray paint but they were out of it. Looking Glass paint is very silvery and shiny; mirror like. Out in the driveway with my pinecones and other things in a large cardbox, I sprayed away, let dry, turned and sprayed some more. (You really should wear something over your mouth and nose to keep from inhaling the spray from the paint, and safety glasses to keep it out of your eyes.)

Back in the house, I added my new sparkly silver items to my décor and I am very satisfied with my new improved ‘in’ look. It only cost $7.99 minus 40%, or $4.80.

Here is a pot of flowering paper whites wrapped in pine garland, with pinecones and bird added.

Another pine garland with larger pinecones for over the TV. I have added silver pincones all over the house!
Now on to the links with some easy and quick ideas. Ornaments looking a little tired? Spray paint and glitter can help. Frou-FruGal has great ideas for that.
Here are some other easy, inexpensive ideas I found online. Check them out! Merry Christmas!
Love this idea at Under The Table and Dreaming; if you don't have Mod Podge, use white glue with a couple of drops of water if it's too thick. Works the same way.
I'm gaga about this one from Country Living, if you don't have a cloche', do you have a glass covered cake plate somewhere? (See how I use a cake plate)

Look how beautiful, yet simple to do, this is from Pom Pom Emporium. Great project for the kids!

Over at The Magic Onions they dipped pinecones in colored wax. When I saw the picture, I thought it was dipped in a bucket of paint. Hmmm.....that's an idea if you don't want to spray paint.

I guess this post ended up being more about decorating with pinecones than anything else! What are some ways you update your holiday decorations without buying new?

1 comment:

  1. This post brought back some fond memories. When I was a kid, we used to spray paint sweet gum balls and hang them on the tree. I didn't really update my decorations this year. I'm a bit of a traditionalist or, as some would say, a stick-in-the-mud. I like having the same decorations in the same place each year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SO much for taking the time to leave a comment!