Monday, March 19, 2012

Felt Cupcakes

I was looking for ideas for a birthday gift for my about to be 3 year old grand daughter. She loves to cook with mom so I started my gift plan with an apron. But that wasn’t enough of a gift  I thought, so I looked around for something to go with the apron. How about felt cupcakes? They are all over the blog world so I started looking around for a template I liked. Soon I was on felt cupcake overload and hadn’t found anything I thought would work for me.


So I made my own template and then made four cupcakes using felt. It was a lot of fun too! I decorated them in different ways then reused a cupcake holder from the store to put them in. Don’t they look great? And they are easy to make.
To make a cupcake, first decide how you want to decorate the top. Cut out the cup cake pieces, the top, middle and bottom. Decorate the top before stitching it to the cup cake body; stitch the sides together first before adding on the top. I made a running stitch around the edge of the top and gathered it to fit the cupcake body.


Then, making my stitches go from the cupcake side into the top and out seemed to be the easiest method for me. Stuff tightly and then stitch on the bottom.

For some styles you may not need a cupcake top as the frosting may become the top. For this one I cut a strip of felt about 3/4 inch wide, folded in half, then using a running stitch I gathered it to make it ruffle and stitched it to the cupcake top.

For this style,

I cut a strip about 1 1/2 inch to 1 3/4 inch wide and about 2 feet long. I cut 7-8 lengths of yarn for stuffing, and wrapped the felt around the yarn and stitiched it closed on my machine. I then hand stitched it together into a spiral without stitching it to a cupcake top, then connecting it to the body of the cupcake.






I had so much fun making this birthday gift. I am very pleased with how it turned out.


I linked this project to Singing Three Little Birds, Craft-O-ManiacHandy Man, Crafty Woman, Sew Much Ado,  Skip to my Lou, Under the Table and Dreaming and Keeping it Simple.
**Join me Wednesdays for Wow Us Wednesdays link up party.**

Copyright ©  Family Home and Life 2010-2012    ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

9 comments:

  1. I was excited when I read "easy" but then I read the instructions. :(

    Super cute cupcakes though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!! Looove these cupcakes! I love using felt and have made some felt cupcakes too, they're so much fun for toys or to use as pincushions! Yours are beautiful, nicely done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful! I want to make some just to make my craft room pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the compliments everyone! They really are easy to make :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute ! You say easy and to make four would probably take me an entire weekend. Whenever I sew my handiest tool is the seam ripper! :) I do sew from time to time but it is always at great hardship and I envy the talented people to whom it comes naturally!: )

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi, did you share the template somewhere? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. are you using soft felt or hard felt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's soft felt, some I used is those cheap squares you can buy for crafting but I prefer the felt on a roll you buy by the yard.

      Delete

Thank you SO much for taking the time to leave a comment!