Monday, May 7, 2012

3 2 1 Cake, Some Possibilities

3 2 1 Cake has been a popular post here on Family Home and Life. And to think it arrived as an email I almost decided not to use. You see, I haven’t brought it up before, but I am on a gluten free diet. I can’t have gluten without severe consequences. I had to go gluten free about 12-13 years ago, but before that, I enjoyed making homemade breads, rolls, cakes, all kinds of gluten filled recipes. I still make my favorite recipes for my family, but I cannot enjoy one bite!
So when this email arrived about this incredibly easy to make, one serving at a time cake, and since I couldn’t test/taste it I wasn’t sure I should tell you about it. But when it started getting so much attention and a reader, Claudia, sent me a picture of her example (above) I decided to try it out. I bought angel food cake mix and red velvet cake mix to start with. Mixed them together (dry) and put the mix in a Mason jar. I then followed cooking directions; mix 3 tbs of mix with 2 tbs of water and microwave in a microwavable container for 1 minute. I used a coffee cup and it worked fabulously! Here's the link for the directions.
321 Cake makes a great mix for kids to stir up for themselves. I put water in a bowl to make it easier for the little ones (my 5 to 3 yr olds) to scoop up the right amount, and then add it to the mix in a cup. They stirred it up and then I put it in the microwave. It will be hot so be careful here. I turn the cup upside down on a saucer and in a couple minutes or less the little cake drops down. All you need to do is frost it with canned frosting, or…..cool whip, whipped cream, Nutella, powdered sugar, or jam.

Remember the apron and felt cupcakes I made as a birthday gift for a granddaughter? I included a Ziploc bag of this mix in her gift bag to make with mom. I couldn’t resist the fun of making a small little ‘cake’ box about 5-6 inches tall to put it in. I made my own template then made the boxes from card stock, and made the labels on my computer. 



I didn’t have actual labels so I printed everything onto paper and glued it on. The front label says "Red Velvet Cake Mix", the back label reads; "3 2 1 Cake Mix, from Gramma’s kitchen to yours, for refills see Gramma". I put labels on the sides too like a real cake box with the directions and ingredients. The vintage label on the front I downloaded free from Worldlabel. Since I didn’t have labels I saved the ones I liked as a picture to my computer then inserted it into a picture box in a Word document.
I have a really old computer (10 years old!) and I was tired of fiddling with it and trying to figure out how to get text inside the label/picture so I printed the "Red Velvet Cake Mix" separate and glued it on. I think the apron, felt cupcakes, and this cake mix made a fun and enjoyable gift. Come back soon to see the other ideas I came up with for this great idea called  3 2 1 Cake.

*I am hosting a weekly linking party here at Family Home and Life on Wednesdays;  Wow Us Wednesday.*

I linked this post at Skip to my Lou, Sew Many ways, Keeping It Simple, CraftOManiac, A Bowl Full of Lemons, Not JUST A Housewife, and Singing Three Little Birds.

Copyright© Family Home and Life 2012 All Rights Reserved

6 comments:

  1. I had not heard of this cake before. Thanks for sharing the link. It sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Try it, you will love it too. No need to make a whole cake when you have a craving. No getting out a lot of ingredients for those other single servings cake in a mug I’ve seen out there. A great pantry staple for grandmas

      Delete
  2. I made this cake after getting the email. I actually brought the mix to work and we played on lunch hour.
    Love your idea about individual boxes. I ended up throwing out a bunch because I never thought about dividing it up and didn't know what the shelf life was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I got that email too! I have mine stored in Mason jars for when the grand kids want some. I'm sure you could keep it in the fridge in a tightly sealed container for a really long time too. In part two, I'm going to show you the other idea I came up with for using this mix.

      Delete
  3. I've not heard of this before. So cool! And so much more fun than an Easy Bake Oven, it seems. Gotta try it. Thank you.

    And good luck with your soon-to-debut Wednesday link up. You're an awesome host and promoter of fellow bloggers. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! Yes it is about as fun as an easy bake oven :)

      Delete

Thank you SO much for taking the time to leave a comment!