Friday, September 21, 2012

Off or On?


Sometimes my grandkids like to pretend that they are at a restaurant, called Gramma Connies Café that specializes in PB&J sandwiches with milk. I take their orders with their choice of grape or strawbery jam. Most of them will not eat the crust on the bread though. Sometimes they will only take a couple of bites from the middle for fear of getting the crust in their mouths. So I coax and prod and find all sorts of creative ways to try and get them to eat just a little more and not waste it. I argue that there’s still lots of perfectly good bread they are leaving behind with that crust. Usually instead of eating anymore, they ask for another sandwich!

Well, I finally broke down and quit trying to make them eat that last little bit of the bread still attached to the crust they left behind and just cut the crust off before I begin the sandwich making in the first place. No more arguing or creative coaxing needed. Pretty much all of the sandwich gets eaten and I don’t fret about the waste.
(Yes, purple is her favorite color :) 


When you make sandwiches for little ones who prefer not to eat the crust……are you a crust cutter off’er or do you leave the crust on and make them eat it?

I have had a lot of content theft lately. If you are reading this post anywhere else but at Family Home and Life then it was used without permission! Copyright© Family Home and Life 2012 All Rights Reserved

12 comments:

  1. Well this is easy. Most of the time I don't want the crust either :) Little Miss Purple Princess is Adorable in this pic ...of COURSE I, as her Hand Maiden, would cut off her crust! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boys are 10 and 7 and I have just quit cutting the crust off. No, they don't eat it or as close as I'd like, but I was just done with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cut the crusts off of course! And because according to Amara I am an awesome grandma, I also cut the sandwich in quarters. For some reason that is the preferable way and it not how Mommy cuts them so I get extra points for that!

    PS Love her smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grand children have never asked for crusts cut off, but the crusts do go out to the back yard for bird food more often than not. What about hamburger and hot dog buns? There's a lot of crust there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, they never ask for that crust to be cut off!

      Delete
  5. First of all, "Little Miss Purple" is absolutely beautiful!
    To answer your question, I usually serve peanut butter on crackers. Today, however, before reading this, I gave it to my 2 year old granddaughter on bread. She very carefully scissored off the crusts with her teeth from all 6 pieces...so I guess it's a universal problem! If I have to toss an occasional crust to the birds like I do now, it's okay. But to have a real "restaurant enterprise" going the way you do, well, yes, I would be concerned about waste. I think I'd make crumbs from the crust and freeze them for recipes used later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been cute to watch ;) Yes I have tried the saving and freezing of the crust for other things, but since I can't eat it, I don't like to use them anymore. For the birds? Well it seems all the wrong critters are attracted to any leavings I put out around here so I don't do that anymore either. I don't mind cutting the crust off, really.

      Delete
  6. I found the same thing that you did, that it's better to cut the crust off for them. With a good bread knife, you can take off the crust in a thin, thin slice and leave almost all of the rest, something that kids have trouble doing with their choppers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm definitely a crust cutter offer. My oldest likes his sandwiches cut into shapes, too, so even when I don't have the fancy cutter thingees my daughter has, I simply ask if he wants triangles, squares, or rectangles. He's partial to triangles.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SO much for taking the time to leave a comment!