- Did you know that overheating cookware with nonstick coating can be dangerous to your health? Teflon can release toxic gases in the air, according to a study by the Environmental Working Group. A light weight pan can reach over 500 degrees in less than two minutes according to research done by the Good Housekeeping Research Institute. (here's a link about it) Overheating above 500 degrees causes the surface to start breaking down releasing toxins; overheating at higher temps will cause it to break down and start to flake off.
UPDATE: Don't just take my word for it that non stick is dangerous....read the comments below about birds!
- If you use nonstick cookware, never preheat a pan before beginning to use it and never use it over high heat. Try to always buy heavy duty cookware for extra safety and ventilate your kitchen while cooking. While I have a small non-stick pan for eggs, I say the best way is not use it at all.
- Overheating cast iron can cause the ‘seasoning’ to begin to peel flaking black specks into your food; if that happens, you can use steel wool on it to scrub the loose 'seasoning' off and re-season.
- Stainless steel is typically a safe cookware choice but overheating can cause discoloring and cause aluminum or copper bottoms to separate or bubble.
- Overheating any cookware can cause it to warp or bow up in the middle.
- Do not place hot cookware into cold water, that can cause it to warp also.
Good cookware is an investment that will last many years if you take proper care of it. Be careful in the kitchen and don't overheat your cookware.
I link at these parties.
I have had a lot of content theft lately. If you are reading this post anywhere else but at Family Home and Life then it was used without permission! Copyright© Family Home and Life 2012 All Rights Reserved