Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Eco-Friendly Gift Giving

Hello everyone, please welcome Mary from Mary's Heirloom Seeds, my guest poster today!

Hey there! I am so excited to share with you today about Eco-Friendly Gift Giving!  My name is Mary and together with my husband we own and operate Mary's Heirloom Seeds.  We offer over 170 varieties of heirloom, non-GMO, open-pollinated, untreated seeds as well as organic gardening supplies.  I also blog over at Back to the Basics.

True story, the first year in our house my husband asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I said DIRT.  It's true!  Our soil here wasn't very fertile and I needed to give my garden a bit of a boost.
Purple Peppers from the garden!




Heirloom Seeds are the perfect start to an organic gardening adventure.
An  heirloom seed variety has been saved and passed down from generation to generation. These seeds have been carefully cultivated and are considered a great value to the recipient. Some say an heirloom variety is 50 years old or more.  Some heirloom varieties have been passed down for over 100 years and others for over 400 years.

Heirloom Seeds can be very unique like the Lemon Cucumber or Romanesco de Italia Broccoli and others are just like the produce you buy in the store (only tastier) like the Roma Tomato

Organic Plant Food is another great eco-friendly gift.  Using organic fertilizer or homemade nutrients is easy and won't contaminate your food like synthetic fertilizers.  Greensand is a mineral-rich soil conditioner.  Azomite contains over 60 trace minerals and nutrients to boost plant health and production.

Seed Germination supplies for the indoor/outdoor gardener.  Many of us gardeners like to plant seeds in germination trays or coconut coir pellets to give plants a good head start before surviving in the garden.
Basil Seedlings growing in coconut pellets

Garden Goodies prepared in your kitchen are great gifts from the heart.  If you like to can, pickle or ferment these make wonderful gifts.  Ball canning jars are an inexpensive and sturdy, American-Made option for storing your garden goodies.  I have made Strawberry Jam, Pear Preserves, Apricot Cranberry Jelly and Key Lime Marmalade for different gift-giving occasions.  There are plenty of sugar-free recipes available if you like to avoid added sugars.



Make up a gift Basket!  You could easily incorporate all or a few of these options in a smallish garden planter.  For example, I made an "In the Kitchen" Herb Garden pack.  It includes a full pack of Genovese Basil, Cilantro, Dill, Oregano, Tarragon and Thyme.  Combine something like this with a galvanized container, seed germination supplies, gloves and small garden tools and you're all set!  I did this for my sister and it inspired her to get growing!  Now the garden has become an educational tool for her homeschooled children as well as free food from her abundant harvests.

I have been growing my own vegetables and herbs from heirloom, organic seeds and besides the money they save me the flavor is WAY better than the vegetables available at the supermarket.  It also makes me feel less dependent on the supply and I know what goes on my veggies.

Like us on facebook or follow on twitter.  We are always sharing organic growing info!

If you have additional questions please feel free to ask.  We just opened up our first seed store and we're thrilled to offer new educational programs for our community.


Thanks Mary! I am a follower of Back to Basics as I love gardening and I am just beginning to become an organic gardener myself. Be sure to check out all of Mary's links and have a look for all those on your gift giving list.



Copyright © Family Home and Life 2010-2014 All Rights Reserved

8 comments:

  1. Visiting from Wonderful Wednesdays - I have been giving homemade gifts for a few years, especially since my red grapes starting producing in abundance, unfortunately they were seeded grapes (I swear the label didn't say that) and basically jelly is the easiest thing to make with them.

    I will have to check out your jam and jelly recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting your fingers dirty can be so much fun! And certainly any fruit or vegetable that is home grown is going to actually have taste -- unlike the stuff at the local market! Tomatoes aren't supposed to be pink and flavorless! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dirt too! Just putting my hands in it is very therapeutic! Sounds like a very wonderful seed company! I'll have to check it out. thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these ideas and wish so much that everyone who gives me a gift would do just this. Sadly, most of the people that I give gifts to would never plant the seeds or eat the canned food I give them and I just can't part with such treasures!! But I sure could receive them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like some great jams and jellies! Best of luck with your garden! I appear to have a bit of a brown thumb but would still be appreciative of a gift of seeds or jellies :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Connie, Great ideas! I love making jams and preserves. Thanks for sharing your ideas at the party @DearCreatives great to see you! Hope to see you again this week. Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such great idea's for giving. I always love to receive homemade gifts.
    Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello cute lady! I love your ideas. Pinned. We really appreciate you taking the time to stop by our party. It wouldn't be a party without you. Please join us on Monday at 7 pm. Happy Saturday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SO much for taking the time to leave a comment!